Friday, November 2, 2007

Did someone plan my life?

I have always wondered how I got to the place where I am right now. And today the most I wonder about is my professional life. Well if you would have told me that I would be a banker at any point of life, I would have probably either ignored you for your ignorance or more so even mocked at you for your non-sightedness.

Although all my younger years were spent thinking how I would get into army like my Dad and probably go to the same places as him. I wanted to be in the Para’s like him. But one thing that I was always sure of was that I would not be a doctor like him. So that meant that I would not join the same regiments as him. But nevertheless it never bothered me much and I thought that joining my dad’s profession would be a natural progression.

What my family thought of it?

Dad: Well I don’t know if he ever imagined me working. All he wanted me to do was do eat well, keep healthy and keeping myself involved in everything from sports to music to studies. I don’t think he ever thought of a profession for me. He called me a “lambi race ka ghoda” and all conversations that even remotely were directed towards my career were put on hold. I am I glad? I am so very very thankful of him for having given me a freehand in everything I wanted to ever do.

Mom: Well all my mom ever wanted was for me to be in the army or the civil services. Like all moms she was probably more worried about the stability of my career than anything else. She once had me consult a “Jyotshi” and inquired if I would join any of these professions. She was flabbergasted to get a negative answer from him. But you know moms and even in their worst times they never quit spill the beans. Well I must say that she never ever voiced her preferences for my career even though he has a huge affection for the above professions.

Sister: She is once who has never hid her feeling and has always voiced her opinion quite vociferously. She was sure from day 1 of her life that I would not be joining the armed forces because this place was for people with no brains and that I was probably destined for my better things. Also she was sure that I would prepare for engineering exams and try to get through IIT. Well I did break her heart by getting through DCE in the second attempt but that never ever shook her confidence on me.

So that’s what I think my family had in mind all the time when they saw me grow, fed me, saw me off to schools and other growing up stuffs.

But what about me? I mean what did I think while growing up? As I said I always wanted to be like my dad (well tell me who doesn’t think that ways!!). But after my tenth and seeing my sister do well, I started thinking more about engineering. But I always quite knew about my abilities and so was more interested in going for some sidey college and having fun.
But as they say, fate never goes by your plans. So I got through DCE, and well, getting through that is another story altogether. I will get back to it some other time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

so u're a banker !! must be making lotsa money dude !!

Anonymous said...

yes..its strange how life shapes up! things that u've never thought about happen ! but in the end it only happens for the best! the trick is to enjoy wat u're doing and value it!