Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Buzzing Q: Career Dilema!!!1

There is something that as been bugging me for quite some time now. Well through the last 24 years of my life, I have never quite felt anything even close to this. There is this feeling of the fear of stagnation. Well if you read the last line carefully, you will see that what I am not stagnating at present, but the fear of it is what is eating me.

Well through years in school, graduation, and finally MBA, there was always this thing to look forward to. Be it preparing for engineering entrance exams while in school, preparing for CAT and giving hundreds of mocks for practice or finally getting oneself ready for the finance interviews in the final placements. An now all of a sudden after getting through my dream job, I don’t know where I go from here.

I was never quite the ambitious one of the lot in school or college and that is probably the reason that I don’t know what the future holds for me. Till now the future was both incidental and coincidental. But now it is entire what I make of it. It can make or break at my wish and now the fact that I have to make my career out on a clean late is what is driving me nuts!!

One of the most intriguing lines that are embossed on most of the Indian’s is

“Tum karm kiye jao
fal ki iccha mat karo”

Well this was probably true for the school and college times but does not quite serve the purpose now.

I know to you it may sound a little weird but see this as a rationale.

In schools and colleges you could focus on a larger issue or you could focus on diverse topics. Like in school all you had to do was prepare for engineering, the fact was you could get through either IITs, DCE’s, Roorkie’s or regional colleges. The list was long and hence you could miss the bulls eye but still end up as a winner. Ditto for engineering college where you could either get a brilliant job, end up in a top notch MBA school or go abroad and pursue higher studies. Finally in B schools you could target more than a 100 companies and even if you got through the 99th one, you would still be a winner.

But what now?

Where do I go from here? I mean, I can work hard and do well in the department. But which department? Is there any one that I like? What if I don’t like any? There also once I join I am there for life!! Imagine giving up all your liberties and flexibilities and getting molded into a particular shape and size!!

So what do I do? Change or move?

If I change I lose it all!!
If I stay put, I stagnate!!!

Think about it!! Tell me what you feel!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well, u dont hav to change or move.
U just need to diversify !
bring out ur long-lost hobbies. Find out time to do different things. Make plans for weekends, even if they are simple things. Plan your vacations. Persue ur hobbies. Read.Sing.Paint.Play.Drive.Holiday.Eat.Cook.Shop.Write.
the list is endless.
And u'll hav all the money in the world, to persue these.
And more importantly, be patient, value what u have, and enjoy it.

Anonymous said...

You sound like a young, energetic, creative, and an extremely ambitious person, and you are fortunate to be so. But to paraphrase Mr. Churchill, this is only the end of the beginning . Having said that, it appears to me that you have still not grown out of your student mold. The working world is different from the academic world. In the working world, the onus of keeping yourself engaged and busy in the division you are assigned to is on you (and only you). When you find yourself with nothing to do, it is worth asking if you are making the most out of what you have. Differentiate yourself from your peers by coming up with simple creative exercises for yourself, such as how you think the trainee experience can be improved, even infinitesimally, in any division. Going forward, I think you will not stagnate as long as you keep taking calculated risks, switching jobs and even careers. What you have accomplished so far is really not all that much. Don't credit yourself excessively. You need to start dreaming far more than you have so far. Stay hungry, stay foolish...

http://news-service.stanford.edu/news/2005/june15/jobs-061505.html