Tuesday, September 4, 2007

London!!!! Update #1

So what happens when you land up in the city that is the most talked about city in the world. Arguably the most beautiful city in the word and is definitely unchallenged leader when you talk about history attached to it. Being an Indian, and probably more coz am from a place just south of Punjab, I cant escape the aura that surrounds LONDON.
Well my favoutite self made joke is that the national anthem of UK is changing. Its gonna be “Mundiya tu bach ke rahee”. Well but yeah I am not joking.

So while it never a happy feeling to leave Zurich airport, but well this time there was some anticipations and a feeling of something to look forward to. So I really did not mind the Air Dhakkan flight aka Swiss Air flight from Zurich to London. I did not mind the upright position that I sat through (since there was no leg space), and I did not mind the really freaky sandwich that these guys gave to me. But well I really cant complain coz even while doing that the swiss were extending a happy smile.
So we finally landed Heathrow at about 8:30 in the evening which was about an hour later than scheduled. Well but if you guys thought that it was any issue, well you guys can wait for more. We went for immigration and when we saw the huge line for the non-Euro residents, we estimated the waiting time in the line to be about 45 mins to 1 hour. But if you thought that my MBA engineering background would probably enhance my estimation skills then you are as wrong as the person who thinks that every night the sun sinks in the sea!!!
Well so began our endless ordeal in the line for emigration. Well this wait not just tires the hell outta us but also tickled the wry humor vein in us. We came with cetain questions like:
1) the euro line was pretty small. And there was a non euro line(which was understandably huge). So where do the Americans go from?
2) Does sharukh kahan and karan johar stand in the same queue as us?
3) Can we dress up old ladies so that we can break the queue?
4) How do people come for their holidays here if you have to stand that long for iimgration
5) Finally if they do our body checking can we protest for sexual harassment( he he ehehe he he ..that is supposed to be funny)

So after 3 hours!!! 3 hours in a hot and small room with luggage and in lines in zigzag manner we finally managed to get our rendezvous with the immigration officer. Well, and when we were about to probably vent out our anger/ true emotions, the officer gauged our emotions and offered his heartfelt apologies and a wonderful smile. And this really took a lot of things out from our head. So we rushed out only to find our baggage’s dumped from the conveyor belt and into the ground. So far so good.
We had a lot of luggage so we decided to take a cab and having managed to target a cab we dumped 4 people’s luggage inside and sat inside all crouched up and totally sans breathing space.
And then I was in delhi!!!!
Believe me.. London is just like delhi. The roads are like delhi. The light on the roads are like those in delhi. The sign posts on the roads are like those in delhi and most importantly the people are all Indians.so the feeling is of being in India again!!!
So finally I managed to reach my place that DB that assigned to me. Paid the cab waala about 90 pounds which included a 5 pound tip. And then I entered my house. It is a 5 star apartment with everything that I ever wanted in it. Well for starters a 30 inch plasma screen ith a dvd, dis washer, washing machine and a dryer and everything else. Most of it I loved my attached bathroom and the wi fi!!!!
Well I finally slept off in the huge double bed with a sense of pride at having joined a place of work that I think I really respect for the opportunities that they are/have provided.!!!!
before i sign out i want to tell you one thing
I think out of all the places and countries I have seen, i think i find London the most livable, lively and enthusiatic country. this is the only country that i probably feel safe in. And this is the only country that I travel around without a passport in my front pocket. its beautiful, both the people and the city, both the sense as well as the atmosphere. this place might rank high in rascism and discrimination against asians but still has a very nice feel attached to it.
Thats why I think so many people have adopted this place as their motherhood and now i know i can appreciate and respect their feelings!!!
End of day 1 in London!!

No comments: